Friday, November 9, 2012

Amish Friday



I'm temporarily suspending Finnish Fridays until my iPhoto adjusts its attitude and starts making my life a little easier by uploading photos in a quick and efficient manner. A girl can dream, right?

This is not to say that Amish Fridays will be a regular thing. This will likely be the first and last Amish Friday, despite the seeming popularity of all things Pennsylvania-Dutch and Amish among the generation of folks dying out or relocating to nursing homes here in San Antonio. I see a lot of coasters, platters, placemats and trivets celebrating the modernity-shunning, horse-and-buggy-embracing culture. Personally, I don't get it. I mean, barn-raising is a very nice concept. And Witness was a good movie, mostly because Harrison Ford was in his absolute prime back then. But other than that? I find it odd, and somewhat icky, to fetishize my fellow human beings, no matter how endearing their quirky cultures. No, Amish stationery and coasters aren't on the same level as displaying indigenous peoples in cages at the World's Fair... but still.

On that note, may your weekend be fruitful and full of interesting discoveries, and all your, uh, sausages be long...





No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...